What makes one firework glow red and another blue? Different combinations of chemicals are incorporated to give Fourth of July fireworks their brilliant colors
What exactly gives fireworks their colors? According to Nathaniel Finney, senior lecturer in North Carolina State’s Department of Chemistry, fireworks get their brilliant colors from different metal salts heated to high temperatures.
Lithium and strontium salts emit red light.
Sodium salts are used to create yellow light.
Calcium salts are used for orange light.
Copper salts, despite the name, emit blue, not copper, light.
Barium salts glow with a green light.
- Community News Network
Spanx stretches into new territory with jeans, but promised magic is elusive
The Spanx empire of stomach-flattening, thigh-slimming, jiggle-reducing foundation garments has expanded to include what the brand promises is the mother of all body-shaping miracles: Spanx jeans.Continued ...
Medical marijuana opponents' most powerful argument is at odds with a mountain of research
Opponents of marijuana legalization are rapidly losing the battle for hearts and minds. Simply put, the public understands that however you measure the consequences of marijuana use, the drug is significantly less harmful to users and society than tobacco or alcohol.Continued ...
Obama had crush on First Lady of Rock
Linda Ronstadt remained composed as she walked up to claim her National Medal of Arts at a White House ceremony Monday afternoon.Continued ...
- Can black women have it all?
- Redskins not the only nickname to cause a stir
- 'Rebel' mascot rising from the dead
- Fast food comes to standstill in China
- Stranger’s generosity stuns Ohio veteran
- VIDEO: High-dive accident caught on tape
- Where cats are more popular than dogs in the U.S.-and all over the world
- Friday, July 25, 2014
- How spy agencies keep their 'toys' from law enforcement
- Russia's war on McDonald's takes aim at the Filet-o-Fish
- Don't judge mothers with messy homes
- Thursday, July 24, 2014
- Arizona's prolonged lethal injection is fourth in U.S. this year
- Technology plays key part in battling police brutality (VIDEO)
- Spanx stretches into new territory with jeans, but promised magic is elusive