Two alligators of record-breaking size, both over 700 pounds, were caught this week in Mississippi, one right after the other.
Two alligators of record-breaking size, both over 700 pounds, were caught this week in Mississippi, one right after the other, according to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks.
The first alligator, weighing in at 723.5 pounds and measuring 13 feet 5.5 inches, was killed shortly after midnight on Sept. 1, breaking the current record of 697.5 pounds from 2012.
An hour later, a second alligator was killed, weighing 727 pounds and measuring 13 feet 4.5 inches.
Mississippi isn't the only home to large alligators. In May 2013, a teen in Texas killed an 800-pound alligator south of San Antonio, according to Fox News.
- Community News Network
Most deadly fraternity scraps initiation for new members
Sigma Alpha Epsilon, one of the largest U.S. fraternities and the deadliest, said Friday it will ban the initiation of recruits, citing the toll that hazing has taken on its newest members.Continued ...
VIDEO: Michigan woman's death, mummified body hidden by auto-pay for six years
The mummified body of a Michigan woman was discovered in the backseat of her car approximately six years after her death. The body was only found after the bank that foreclosed on the home ordered work on the property.Continued ...
VIDEO: Chrysler orders community college to crush rare Dodge Viper
Students at a community college in Washington are fighting to save a rare Dodge Viper given to them by the Chrysler Corporation. The company now says it must be destroyed for legal reasons.Continued ...
- VIDEO: Penguin sweaters save birds trapped in oil spills
- VIDEO: Kentucky AG holds back tears, announces he won't defend marriage ban
- Staples to close 225 stores as online competition hurts sales
- 2 in Indiana sickened after eating contaminated Skittles
- VIDEO: A panoramic view from atop One World Trade Center
- 5 memorable college hoops tourney buzzer beaters
- What you need to know about subtle office bullying
- Wednesday, March 5, 2014
- Lilly's diabetes drug rejected by FDA
- Target seeks new technology head after data breach
- Facebook cracking down on illegal gun sales planned on site
- Avenger an American value
- VIDEO: Mother, children rescued from van in ocean
- Most deadly fraternity scraps initiation for new members