Two alligators of record-breaking size, both over 700 pounds, were caught this week in Mississippi, one right after the other.
Two alligators of record-breaking size, both over 700 pounds, were caught this week in Mississippi, one right after the other, according to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks.
The first alligator, weighing in at 723.5 pounds and measuring 13 feet 5.5 inches, was killed shortly after midnight on Sept. 1, breaking the current record of 697.5 pounds from 2012.
An hour later, a second alligator was killed, weighing 727 pounds and measuring 13 feet 4.5 inches.
Mississippi isn't the only home to large alligators. In May 2013, a teen in Texas killed an 800-pound alligator south of San Antonio, according to Fox News.
- Community News Network
Washington woman unknowingly live-tweets husband's death
A Washington state woman known for monitoring police scanners unknowingly live-tweeted about a fatal car wreck Wednesday, initially unaware that the victim was her husband.Continued ...
VIDEO: Gun control ad recounts Newtown shooting
Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America partnered with Mayors Against Illegal Guns to commemorate the Dec. 14 one-year anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting. A new TV ad created by the group shows a gunman entering a school at the same time Adam Lanza entered Sandy Hook.Continued ...
VIDEO: The world's worst 'selfie' snaps
People have been taking the "selfie" trend to the extreme, snapping pictures of themselves at the worst times and in the worst places. One girl, who took a photo of herself with a bridge jumper in the background, may just top the list.Continued ...
- VIDEO: Journalism school honors Ron Burgundy
- VIDEO: Snow, ice aim for nation's frozen midsection
- VIDEO: Millions of social media credentials hacked
- Wednesday, December 4, 2013
- Texas wants background checks for health-care navigators
- How to care for a cut Christmas tree
- Are fake eggs the future?
- VIDEO: Young artist focuses on gun violence through art
- Cyber Monday sales reach record as shoppers snub stores for Web
- Making edible cookie containers: Gingerbread Stockings
- Police: Woman calls 911 for a push around mall
- Tuesday, December 3, 2013
- House passes extension of ban on plastic guns as NRA remains mum
- Freedom is more likely to stimulate potential geniuses than gifted programs
- Washington woman unknowingly live-tweets husband's death