Several high-profile incidents of police officers shooting dogs in recent weeks have communities talking about safety and dealing with potentially dangerous animals, but in hundreds of American cities, certain "dangerous dogs" are already restricted or banned.
Breed-specific ordinances range from bans on pitt bulls alone, to a declaration of many breeds as "vicious" or "dangerous." Some states have no cities with restrictions. Iowa, where a man was attacked by two pitt bulls last week, has 81 cities with some form of breed-specific ordinance — more than in any other state.
Meanwhile in California, where video of police officers shooting a Rottweiler while his owner looked on went viral last week, there are only a handful of local ordinances, and none in Hawthorne, Calif., where the incident occurred.
- Community News Network
Obama had crush on First Lady of Rock
Linda Ronstadt remained composed as she walked up to claim her National Medal of Arts at a White House ceremony Monday afternoon.Continued ...
Can black women have it all?
In a powerful new essay for the National Journal, my friend Michel Martin makes a compelling case for why we need to continue the having-it-all conversation.Continued ...
Redskins not the only nickname to cause a stir
Daniel Snyder has come under fire for refusing to change the mascot of his NFL team, the Washington Redskins. The Redskins, however, are far from being the only controversial mascot in sports history. Here is a sampling of athletic teams from all areas of the sports world that were outside the norm.Continued ...
- 'Rebel' mascot rising from the dead
- Fast food comes to standstill in China
- Stranger’s generosity stuns Ohio veteran
- VIDEO: High-dive accident caught on tape
- Where cats are more popular than dogs in the U.S.-and all over the world
- Friday, July 25, 2014
- How spy agencies keep their 'toys' from law enforcement
- Russia's war on McDonald's takes aim at the Filet-o-Fish
- Don't judge mothers with messy homes
- Thursday, July 24, 2014
- Arizona's prolonged lethal injection is fourth in U.S. this year
- Technology plays key part in battling police brutality (VIDEO)
- Facebook continues moneymaking trend
- Has the ipad lost its swag?
- Obama had crush on First Lady of Rock