To the editor:
We, the founding members of Friends of Stage Fort Park, Inc., George Roark, Susannah Wolfe and David Dow, wish to thank all of you who worked with us and encouraged us in our endeavor to protect Stage Fort Park.
Hundreds of you signed our petition, talked to your neighbors about the park, shared your concerns with your ward councilors, wrote letters to the editor and in general, vastly increased awareness of the park and its needs throughout the entire community.
It is through all of our efforts that the council has added 13 additional conditions for the 2013 Gran Prix of Gloucester cyclocross event. This was truly an effective grass roots effort arising from love and commitment to our park.
These new conditions are as follows:
1. No cycling on Half Moon Beach.
2. No cycling on the clear cut (run up) to the children’s playground area from the Lucy B. Davis pathway.
3. No cycling on the clear cut behind the Visitor’s Welcoming Center.
4. No cycling on grass area between the Betty Smith Garden and the Gloucester Garden Club garden.
5. A $5,000 non-interest bearing account to be held in escrow by the City Treasurer, to cover potential unrepaired areas. This was in lieu of a $10,000 surety bond condition.
6. No overnight tenting in the park.
7. Submission of the race course to the council before the approval of the permit.
8. Video tape of entire course 7 days prior to the event, to determine preconditions of the grounds.
9. Supervision by a group, consisting of the DPW, Ward Councilor, landscape contractor, Public Service Superintendent, and race representative, who will document the repairs needed and then review the repairs when completed.
10. Staking of repaired areas that require loam and seed.
11. Cap the numbers of entrants to 1,000 per day.
12. Pre-race listing of all activities that require the assistance of the DPW seven days prior to the event.