We have all bought chocolate pecan turtle candies at the local chocolate shop; they are delicious, sweet, and most of all, expensive.
But not anymore. Rosanne LeBlanc of Rosanne’s Biscotti in Gloucester, says it’s easy it is to create delicious turtles out of only a few ingredients.
The process is extremely simple. First layer chocolate, pecans, more chocolate, caramel, and finally another healthy dose of chocolate on top to hold it all together. When made this way, the turtles are extremely soft and chewy. These turtles will turn a few heads with their chocolate shells and pecan feet.
These candies will disappear quickly, so make sure you have enough on hand; and if you don’t, it is simple enough to make more.
2 tablespoons chocolate
1 tablespoon caramel
7 to 10 roasted pecans (unsalted)
1. Melt the chocolate so that you can use a spatula or spoon to pour. In the microwave, melt the chocolate in a microwaveable cup, and heat 12 seconds at a time.
2. On a piece of parchment, make a chocolate “puddle” about the size of a silver dollar.
3. Place the pecans around the edges. The chocolate will spread out. Place a few more pecans and a bit more chocolate in the middle of the turtle.
4. Allow the chocolate to harden by either placing it in the refrigerator, or letting it sit for a few minutes.
5. Create a caramel ball, and flatten it into a disk so that it will cover the nuts and chocolate. After you lay down the caramel, cover the top with more chocolate and allow it to harden.
Recipe courtesy of Rosanne LeBlanc, Rosannesbiscotti.com, 2013.
Note: You can watch a how-to video featuring LeBlanc making these candies when viewing this story at gloucestertimes.com/lifestyle.