By Times Staff
Gloucester Daily Times
With all of the holiday festivities to attend and possibly host this season, having a unique yet simple recipe for hors d’oeuvres is always ideal. Leave the cheese and crackers to the wayside this holiday and treat your guests to these Bacon Sausage Rollups.
This recipe from culinary student Aaron Perrott makes for the perfect party appetizer. With simple household ingredients, you can easily whip up a batch of these in a rush. These rollups can also be prepared in advance. Simply put the unbaked rollups in the freezer, and when needed bake for 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe is easily multiplied if you find yourself with some extra guests or if you run out more quickly than you expect — these tasty little finger foods won’t last very long. Be prepared, as the smell of these appetizers baking will certainly draw people into the kitchen for some taste testing.
Bacon Sausage Rollups
2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese with chives, softened
1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
25 slices mixed grain bread, crusts removed and cut in half
25 slices bacon, cut in half
1 pound sausage, ground or removed from casing
Parsley sprigs (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine cream cheese and milk (or mayonnaise), stirring until creamy.
3. Spread 1 teaspoon of cheese mixture on each halved bread slice. Spread about 1/2 tablespoon of sausage on top.
4. Roll tightly from the smallest end. Wrap bread with bacon and secure with toothpick.
5. Place on a broiler pan and bake for 30 minutes, turning if necessary. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Recipe courtesy of culinary student Aaron Perrott, 2012