When the arrival of spring breathes new life into everything around you, it’s hard not to catch on to the trend as well. Breathe new life into your own life with the fresh fruits and vegetables popping out of the ground this time of year.
Chef and caterer Stephanie Smith of Rockport shares her recipe for Avocado Beet Salad; the perfect cure for that need for new life.
To say that this salad is colorful is an understatement. With its many varying shades of green from the mixed lettuces and avocados, to its rich, deep earth tones from the beets, all offset by the vibrant pop of cara cara oranges, this salad is as visually stimulating as it is delicious.
The textures are wonderful, too, from the creaminess of the avocados to the crunch of the lettuces and nuts.
Enjoy this salad as a meal, a side dish or share it with your family and friends over Easter dinner.
Avocado Beet Salad
Servings: 2 to 4
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Time of Preparation: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
1 or 2 whole beets
1 whole avocado
1 whole cara cara orange, sectioned, pith removed
1 whole red onion, thinly sliced
1 bag (or equivalent) mixed greens
2 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil, preferably infused with blood orange
1/3 cup cara cara orange juice
Zest from 1 cara cara orange
1/4 cup sliced honey-roasted almonds
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix orange juice, orange zest, oil and vinegar in a bowl.
2. Roast, peel and slice the beets into disc shapes.
3. Marinate the beets in the dressing while you prepare the rest of the salad.
4. Put greens and onions on the plate.
5. Slice avocado into wedges and place them on top.
6. Place orange sections and beets circles on top of the salad.
7. Sprinkle honey roasted almonds on top.
8. Dress salad with remaining dressing.
Recipe courtesy of Stephanie Smith, Rockport, 2013.