By Times Staff
Gloucester Daily Times
This is a simple and delicious homemade cake that features two secret ingredients: carrots and beets.
Naturally sweet carrots and beets are the perfect base for dessert. Once grated and sneaked into the batter, both the carrots and the beets cook down discretely and leave very little evidence. Despite the vivid reddish-purple batter, the cake will transform to a nut brown while baking and look much like a spice cake when it comes out of the oven. It is perfect served as is or with a light sprinkle of powdered sugar. For special occasions, top with frosting — vanilla, cream cheese or citrus are flavors that pair wonderfully with this cake.
If you are looking for a new cake to bring to your holiday table this season try this beet carrot cake. It is an easy-to-assemble dessert with added nutritional value and fiber. Adults and kids alike will enjoy this cake and telling everyone they are eating vegetables is optional.
Beet Carrot Cake
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons hot water
1 cup beet (1 medium beet), peeled and shredded
1 cup carrots (2 medium carrots), peeled and shredded
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-by-13 pan.
2. Beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla and hot water together. Stir in the beets and carrots.
3. In a separate bowl mix the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry, beating until combined. Stir in the nuts.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on rack.
Recipe courtesy of Jen Perry, nutrition development coordinator for The Open Door, 2012