Biscuits and gravy may be the ultimate Midwestern breakfast. With a heaping helping of sausage, warm biscuits and creamy gravy, this breakfast will leave you very full. “It’s the kind of breakfast you find a recliner after,” home cook and food blogger, Jancey Smith explains. The simple six-ingredient meal is the ultimate comfort food, which Smith teaches you in just a few minutes.
The recipe starts with a pound of sausage that is browned in a frying pan, before adding milk, salt and pepper. Then everything is reduced into thick gravy that eventually covers the biscuits. For this breakfast, you can use any type of sausage, whether it is hot, Italian or, like Smith, country sausage. Anyway you serve it, biscuits and gravy is a classic that cannot be beat.
Biscuits and Gravy
1 pound Country Sausage
1/4 cup Flour
1 1/2 cup Milk
1 can Biscuits (or 6 home-made biscuits)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
1. In a medium skillet, brown the sausage until it is no longer pink in the middle.
2. Preheat the oven to 350ºF, or to the temperature that your biscuits require.
3. Prepare the pan for the biscuits by spraying it with non-stick spray, or coating it with butter, and line the biscuits up so they are not touching.
4. Stir in the sausage, and break it up to small pieces.
5. Once cooked, drain the sausage of any excess grease, leaving a little.
6. Stir in the flour until the mixture is crumbly, reduce the heat to medium low.
7. Bake the biscuits for 15-20 minutes, or as the packaging instructs.
8. Gradually add the milk, and continue to stir. Failure to stir can cause clumpy or burned gravy.
9. Keep stirring and reduce heat until the gravy thickens.
10. Remove the biscuits, plate them, and cover with gravy.
Recipe courtesy of Jancey Smith, 2013.