Gloucester police and firefighters responded to a commercial alarm for haze and overheating at Anchor Seal, a business at 54 Great Republic Drive in Blackburn Industrial Park at 2:09 p.m. Thursday.
After entering a side door, officers found an overheating room containing "large amounts of chemicals," police said.
Police and Fire Department crews also found a broken hose leaking oil into the room, which was causing the haze, according to police.
Responders were able to remove the hose and had cleared the unit by 2:50 p.m.
Two women reported Thursday that items were stolen from their apartment on Cedar Street, according to police.
The women said that, sometime between 11:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., when they were away, someone had entered the house and stollen $92 in cash, an 8-gigabyte iPod Nano, a pink Kodak digital camera, and an 8-gigabyte iPhone, according to police.
The women reported that a previously damaged bedroom door had been further damaged, and a fan that was on when they left the house had been turned off, police said.
Marjorie Nesin can be reached at 978-283-7000 x3451, or firstname.lastname@example.org.