GloucesterTimes.com, Gloucester, MA

Breaking News

Latest Cape Ann News

September 17, 2013

Essex Police/Fire: Gas odor draws firefighters' response

Essex Police/Fire

ESSEX — Firefighters responded to a call about strong odors of natural gas coming from a John Wise Avenue residence Friday just past 8 p.m.

Firefighters recommended that the appliances be shut off, and a service technician was called. But no one was evacuated, police said, and there were no injuries.

Police said multiple cars were issued speeding citations after complaints on Spring Street, which started around 2:15 p.m. on Saturday.

Police spoke to a homeowner on Southern Avenue around 6 a.m. on Saturday about barking dogs. According to police, the homeowner, who said the dogs may have been alerted by a deer or other animals in the area.

A fire alarm that sounded Saturday around 5:30 p.m. on Story Street was caused by a battery failure in the smoke detector, police said.

James Niedzinski can be reached at 978-283-7000, x 3455 or at jniedzinski@gloucestertimes.com.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest Cape Ann News

Pictures of the Week
Your news, your way
Comments Tracker
AP Video Network
House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction Malaysian PM: Stop Fighting in Ukraine Cantor Warns of Instability, Terror in Farewell Ravens' Ray Rice: 'I Made a Huge Mistake' Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Raw: Deadly Landslide Hits Indian Village Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways