By James Niedzinski
---- — ROCKPORT — The Blizzard of 2013 caused numerous problems in Rockport, from fires to the sounding of burglar alarms.
Police said some residents lost power around 11 p.m. Friday and did not get power back until 8 a.m. Sunday. Electrical, cable and telephone wires were all down throughout town and subsequent reports were made to National Grid, police said.
As a result of the blizzard, multiple fires were reported throughout town.
A telephone pole was reportedly on fire on Mount Pleasant Street at 2:15 a.m. Saturday.
Police said there was a working chimney fire on Sunday at 2:36 a.m. on Main Street and were there for several hours.
Shortly after, around 2:40 a.m., police said another fire on South Street warranted the Fire Department’s response, and on Saturday night on 10:36, police said the Fire Department was dispatched to Granite Street for arching wires.
Saturday, on Bearskin Neck, police said loose propane tanks were first reported at about 10:48 a.m. with damage to shops around 4:15 p.m.
Multiple residents were transported to Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester during the blizzard, including some with storm related medical issues in need of emergency attention.
At 8:40 a.m. Saturday, a female Prospect Street resident was transported to the hospital.
Saturday at 9:25 a.m., a male Bradley Wharf resident was transported to the Gloucester hospital.
Shortly after noon on Saturday, a female Gott Street resident was transported to Addison Gilbert Hospital.
James Niedzinski can be reached at 978-283-7000, x 3455 or at email@example.com.