, Gloucester, MA

July 23, 2013

Gloucester Police/Fire: Newton man found safe after each search

Gloucester Police/Fire:

By James Niedzinski
Staff Writer

---- — Police, lifeguards and United States Coast Guards officials responded to a report of a missing person on Good Harbor Beach Sunday around 3:30 p.m.

A police report indicates that a 51-year-old man from Canterbury Road in Newton was reported missing after four hours, walking off around 11 a.m.

The beach was cleared of all swimmers by lifeguards using their bullhorns and police using their all terrain vehicle sirens; Salt Island was also cleared of beachgoers as police officers waded out to the island.

After a U.S. Coast Guard and Gloucester police boat search began, a lifeguard was spotted escorting the man down the beach.

According to police, the man apologized for wasting everyone’s time, but as the beach patron returned, he was greeted with a standing ovation and applause from other patrons, the report states.

“The lifeguard did a great job with all who were in the water, clearing out thousands of people swimming is not an easy task,” the report reads.

Police arrested a Washington Street man Saturday just after 1 p.m. after police received a report about a possible domestic disturbance on that thoroughfare.

According to police, the person who reported the incident was waiting outside of Ed’s Mini Mart, and was afraid to go back into the Washington Street apartment of Samuel Parsons, 35. A two-year-old child was also in the apartment, police said.

When the reporting party arrived at Parsons’ apartment, he began throwing items at her, and a piece of wood hit her right calf, according to police.

Parsons told police the woman reporting the incident was the one responsible for the items strewn throughout the apartment. But police then arrested and charged Parsons with domestic assault and battery.

A road rage incident on Saturday around 7 a.m. resulted in the arrest of a Washington Street woman.

Police were sent to the Dunkin Donuts on Washington Street after Taylor Geden, 23, nearly struck a pedestrian, according to the police report. Police then stopped Geden by Tally’s Corner at the foot of Washington Street.

Geden denied anything about the incident and left, but police were then notified that Geden had a suspended license.

Police caught up with Geden on Derby Street and asked for her license. The report indicates that Geden got out of her car, continued walking, and eventually tired to hit the police officer.

She was arrested and criminal complaints are being sought for operating a motor vehicle after suspension, resisting arrest and failure to stop for a police officer.

A Rockport man will be facing charges of drunken driving and other complaints after an incident n which police initially stopped him for driving 92 miles per hour on northbound Route 128 northbound Sunday, just before 2 a.m. near Exit 12.

According to police, Daniel Bates, 23 of South Street, was stopped on a speeding charge, and officers detected what they said was a strong smell of alcohol. Bates failed a number of field sobriety tests; he also had a blood-alcohol concentration of .14, police said, nearly double the legal limit of .08.

Bates was charged with speeding, a marked lane violation, driving under the influence of alcohol and was issued a civil citation for possession of less than one ounce of marijuana.

James Niedzinski can be reached at 978-283-7000, x 3455 or at