, Gloucester, MA

April 18, 2013

Rape suspect faces 2 cases

By Marjorie Nesin
Staff Writer

---- — A 21-year-old Pleasant Street man is awaiting trial in Middleton Jail, held on $25,000 bail covering two separate rape allegations involving young teenagers after his case was bumped from Gloucester District Court to the higher Salem Superior Court.

Justin M. Todd now faces charges in two cases, one of forcibly raping a 16-year-old girl, the other of four counts of statutory rape on a 14-year-old girl, according to a police report. The two unrelated incidents reportedly occurred within a span of four months.

“Justin Todd is well known to police and has been accused of having sex with several other under-aged girls, all in their early teens,” police wrote in a report.

That report detailed four counts of previously reported statutory rape, when Todd allegedly invited a group of teenage girls to his hotel room at the Cape Ann Marina for a New Year’s Eve party.

Todd allegedly left the hotel room to buy a bottle of Grey Goose vodka and Hennessey whiskey and food from the Causeway Liquor store, police said. Police said Todd shared the alcohol and food with the 14-year-old girl and other “young teens” in the hotel room, before he had sex with one of the girls on four occasions, while the others were sleeping or out of the room, police said. Todd also faces a charge of distributing alcohol to a minor in that case.

Police have obtained a copy of Todd’s hotel room receipt from that night, which shows Todd rented the room, paid for it and signed the receipt, according to reports.

Police said that, during a police interview, the girl told police that Todd had said not to say anything about the sexual intercourse because he was “too old to have sex with her.”

The 16-year-old girl who reported that Todd forcibly raped her told police that Todd, who stands about 6-foot-3 and weighs over 200 pounds, had told her too not to tell anyone, emphasizing that he knew where she lived.

The forcible rape allegedly occurred at the girl’s home, when Todd went there to watch a movie and ended up pinning the girl down on a couch and raping her, though she reportedly told him to stop many times, police said.

According to police reports, Todd had allegedly ended up at the girl’s house one October night, after the two were conversing over Facebook. She told him she was home alone, and he arrived alone shortly after, according to police reports.

Todd was charged with that rape after the reported New Year’s Eve incident, according to court documents.

The cases passed through Gloucester District Court, moving to Salem Superior Court, where Todd was arraigned and held in Middleton Jail on a total of $25,000 bail.

Todd will return to court May 1.

Marjorie Nesin can be reached at 978-283-7000, x3451, or at