GloucesterTimes.com, Gloucester, MA

Latest Cape Ann News

August 30, 2013

No evidence of shots, melee found in reported incident

Shots reportedly fired off during a “large fight” in the Maplewood Avenue roadway Wednesday night sparked a police investigation that has so far led to no arrests.

No injuries were reported in the case, and though officers are investigating it as a “shots fired incident,” no evidence of bullets being fired was discovered at the crime scene near the Oak Grove Cemetery, according to Police Chief Leonard Campanello.

“We don’t have any witnesses, we don’t have any physical evidence at this point,” Campanello said Thursday afternoon.

Police rushed all available cruisers to the scene, when a caller reported the fight around 11:30 p.m. Then callers reported gunshots, but the area had cleared out by the time officers arrived. Still, police conducted a full investigation.

Officers put out a “Be on the Lookout” for multiple vehicles that reportedly left the area as the fight dispersed, but the BOLO returned no results.

“To be cautious we initially put out information that we got, but again we don’t have any solid identifiable witnesses at this point,” Campanello said.

Police blocked off a portion of Maplewoood after the reported shots to check the area in an investigation that would turn up no immediate physical evidence or gun shells. Officers searched the area again Thursday morning in hopes that daylight might uncover evidence.

“Whatever potential scene was there has been investigated both in the darkness of last night and in the daylight of today,” Campanello said Thursday.

Though state police had responded to the report of shots fired, Gloucester police were independently investigating the incident Thursday.

Marjorie Nesin can be reached at 978-283-7000 x3451, or mnesin@gloucestertimes.com.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest Cape Ann News

Pictures of the Week
Your news, your way
Comments Tracker
AP Video Network