, Gloucester, MA

November 16, 2012

Gloucester Police/Fire: Teen coughs up cash after candy bar theft

By Steven Fletcher Staff Writer
Gloucester Daily Times

---- — A store clerk at Walgreen’s called police after a 15-year-old boy ran out of the store with a candy bar, Tuesday at 6:09 p.m.

She said the youth sprinted out of the store. Police found the boy on Railroad Avenue.

He said he took the bar because he didn’t have the money to pay for it. The boy, however, borrowed money from his girlfriend to pay for it after confronted by police.

Police did not press charges.

Gloucester Police arrested a Rockport man on a warrant from Salem District Court and on charges of driving with a suspended license on Schoolhouse Road Tuesday at 11:26 a.m.

According to the police report, officers stopped his car after the license plate reader picked up that the owner of the car, from Colorado, didn’t have a state license and had an active warrant for his arrest.

When police stopped the car on Schoolhouse Road, they found Charles Clark, 55, of 3 Autumn Lane in Rockport at the wheel.

He said the car belonged to his landlord and that he left his license in another wallet. Police found that his license was suspended and that he had an active warrant for drunk driving out of Salem district Court.

He was arrested and Tally’s Towing removed the car.

Market Basket’s loss prevention officer called police to report a theft at 11:36 a.m. on Tuesday.

The security officer reported seeing a woman put items into her purse and then walk out of the store with them. She paid for roughly $96 worth of goods, but walked out with $18 worth of goods she didn’t pay for.

The security officer told police that if the woman paid for the stolen goods, the store wouldn’t press charges. She agreed to pay for the items later and was told she would no longer be welcome in Market Basket stores.

An Atlantic Road resident told police that her neighbor tore up part of her private road and stacked the asphalt on conservation land Tuesday at 9:42 a.m.

She told officers that she hadn’t spoken to her neighbor before calling them. Police notified the Conservation Commission.

A Mt. Pleasant Avenue woman told police that she had found a man who had been harassing her for four months in her home, going through her bedroom closet on Sunday.

She told police Tuesday at 12:16 p.m. that she forced the man out of her house Sunday night. Tuesday morning, she told officers she started to receive angry text messages from the man. Police are investigating.

A Dennison Street woman told police that her neighbors threatened to file a complaint over where she parks her car after she called the Fire Department to report one of their bonfires. She told police about the incident at 4:16 p.m. on Tuesday.

A Holly Street woman called to report a scam at 8:34 p.m. on Tuesday. She said she had responded to an online ad asking for people to package products and ship them overseas.

The company, she said, sent the items with prepaid stickers and she would package and ship them. She told police, however, that she received a $750 bill for the shipments, and she said she was afraid she would receive more of them.

A Prospect Street man called police at 8:35 p.m. to report that someone took a GPS out of the center console of his car. The report did not state whether his car was locked at the time.

Steven Fletcher may be contacted at 1-978-283-7000 x3455, or

Follow him on Twitter at @stevengdt.