DANVERS — A class-action lawsuit filed in Salem Superior Court yesterday says Ashland Inc. was negligent in delivering a volatile mix of heptane and alcohols to an ink and paint plant that blew up three years ago.
The delivery eventually fueled a blast equal to 4,700 pounds of TNT in the Danversport neighborhood on the eve of Thanksgiving 2006, the lawsuit says.
The lawsuit claims the chemical company should have known better than to deliver these chemicals to a plant that lacked permits and licenses to store its chemicals.
The lawsuit's filing was foreshadowed Nov. 2 when attorneys for the Safe Area for Everyone group, including high-profile Beverly attorney Jan Schlichtmann, released its findings about Ashland and its relation to the Water Street facility.
"Every aspect of this was an explosion waiting to happen," Schlichtmann said. "What our investigation has shown is this was a highly foreseeable event ... How can they justify giving such highly explosive chemicals to people who are not capable of handling it safely?"
The lawsuit alleges that Ashland knew all about how the CAI/Arnel plant operated, that it stored and heated chemicals in "unlawful and unventilated tanks" and other enclosures that lacked safety controls and relied on human oversight.
Ashland spokesman Jim Vitak referred to a prior company statement on the matter: "As independent investigations have already determined, Ashland played no role in that event."
The Nov. 22, 2006, blast destroyed the 10,000-square-foot plant, and a shock wave tore through the adjacent neighborhood. The explosion caused $30 million in damage to dozens of homes, businesses, cars and boats at a nearby marina and displaced more than 70 families, some for months on end. While some people were injured, no one was killed.
Federal investigators theorized the production manager inadvertently left a steam valve open the day before the blast, which caused a volatile mixture of heptane and alcohols to boil. Vapor escaped, filled the building, found an unknown ignition source and exploded at 2:46 a.m.