, Gloucester, MA

August 14, 2012

Driver hits motorcyclist but no charges are filed

By Steven Fletcher
Staff Writer

---- — Police and Fire Department paramedics responded to a motorcycle accident at the Causeway Restaurant on Essex Avenue on Saturday at 4:31 p.m.

When the rescue personnel arrived, they found a car with a damaged driver’s side panel and a man standing over his motorcycle lying on its side.

The woman who drove the car said she was pulling out of the restaurant and didn’t see the motorcycle until it struck her car.

Paramedics transported the motorcyclist to Beverly Hospital for evaluation before police could speak with him, according to the report. No charges were filed at the time the report was written.

Officers arrested a Gloucester man on a disorderly conduct charge on Foster Street at 7:41 p.m. Friday after neighbors reported he was breaking bottles in the street.

Police responded to the area and a neighbor said the man was yelling and broke a beer bottle on the roadway near 5 Foster St. and tried to smash in a car window.

Police found the man, David Witham, 21, of 187 Washington St. nearby. He said he was upset because a resident of 5 Foster St. punched him in the face. He said he threw the beer bottle but denied trying to damage the car, according to police reports.

Officers arrested him on a disorderly conduct charge.

Officers responded to the Bass Rocks Golf Club at 5:20 p.m. Friday for a report of trespassing. The club manager said he was teaching a group of children on the course and a man came down, set up a beach chair, and started watching them.

Police spoke to the man who said noise from the club was disturbing him on his front porch. He said he set up the chair in protest but denied doing anything other than that.

A woman told police on Sunday at 9:34 a.m. that someone pretending to be a Gloucester detective called her earlier that day and told her to come in for questioning. Gloucester detectives, the report states, had never contacted the woman.

The woman said the call came as she had a falling out with her father-in-law’s children about his care. Her father-in-law, she said, was terminally ill.

Police responded to his residence on Pearl Street and the man said, because of the falling out, she wasn’t welcome at the residence.

At 1:04 p.m. Sunday, police responded to the field behind the Green Street Playground for a report of three men drinking in the area. Police found the men, who were drinking, and told them to leave the area. The incident report said police would be watching the fields closely.

Officers told two groups of teenagers to leave the Klondike Reservoir quarry at 4:10 p.m. on Sunday.

Police and firefighters responded to a Knowlton Square residence at 9:25 p.m. on Saturday for a report of a gas leak. Firefighters turned off the gas service at the house and waited for National Grid to respond. No further information was available.

Officers found a man sleeping in a restroom at Stage Fort Park on Sunday at 8:05 p.m. They sent the man on his way.

Police responded to a report of a fallen tree on Centennial Avenue on Sunday at 9:19 p.m. They found a downed tree leaning on a house on the street, and notified the Department of Public Works.

A Holly Street resident called police Friday at 9:15 p.m. to report that someone rang his doorbell and drove off. He said he heard the bell ring and saw someone leave his door and go back to their car. When he answered the door, the car drove off. Police told him to call them if the car showed up again.

A Riggs Street resident reported a sinkhole on the street at 1:01 p.m. Saturday. Officers notified the Department of Public Works.

Steven Fletcher can be reached at 978-283-7000 x3455, or Follow him on Twitter @StevenGDT