, Gloucester, MA

October 26, 2012

Gloucester Police/Fire: Police use pepper spray in warrant arrest

By Steven Fletcher Staff Writer
Gloucester Daily Times

---- — Police had to use pepper spray to subdue a man they arrested on a warrant Thursday at 8:34 a.m.

According to the police report, officers had attempted to arrest Christopher Doucette, 21 of 83 Veterans Way, on a warrant over the last few days, but had not been able to locate him at his residence at 83 Veterans Way.

On Thursday, however, officers saw him entering the home. When police knocked on the door, they heard loud footsteps as if someone was running up the stairs inside.

They entered and found Doucette hiding in an upstairs closet.

He attempted to fight with the first officer who entered the room, and resisted arrest. He was then subdued by pepper spray, but according to police reports “kept resisting, swearing, spitting and refusing to be handcuffed,” according to the police report.

When officers finally cuffed him, he banged his head off walls on his way out to the cruiser, threatening to kill the officers and then himself.

The police report did not specify the charge on the initial warrant. Doucette, however, was sentenced to serve nine months of a sentence with another 18 months suspended in 2010 after pleading guilty to witness intimidation allegations and assault and battery charges; he was to be on probation through this past August.

Paramedics had a Holly Street man taken to Boston by Med-Flight Wednesday at 2:56 p.m. The man had fallen off a roof and was transported to O’Maley School where he was airlifted to a Boston hospital.

Officers responded to Moorland Road at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday after a report that a pack of coyotes had formed behind the maintenance shed at the Bass Rocks Golf Club. A responding officer, however, did not see any coyotes.

Police received a call reporting two men drinking on some steps on Spring Street at 6:32 p.m. Wednesday. Responding officers, however, found that the men weren’t drinking, and simply asked them to go on their way.

A Davis Street resident called police and said that her upstairs neighbor’s television was keeping her awake at 11:37 p.m. on Tuesday. Police responded and asked the couple to turn it down.

Twenty minutes later, the woman called back and said the couple upstairs was banging their feet on the floor. She said they were doing that because she called the police.

Police responded again, and once again told the couple upstairs to quiet down.

Steven Fletcher may be contacted at 1-978-283-7000 x3455, or Follow him on Twitter at @stevengdt.