, Gloucester, MA

May 8, 2013

Tragedy on the tracks

Police say no foul play seen in man's death

By James Niedzinski
Staff Writer

---- — GLOUCESTER — A Gloucester man who had been seen standing on or alongside the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority commuter rail tracks minutes earlier died Tuesday when he was struck by a train at around 2:15 p.m.

Police Chief Leonard Campanello and officials with the MBTA said Tuesday night that the man had been identified, but that they were not releasing the name pending notification of relatives.

Campanello said he could not confirm what may have led to the man’s death, but said that police do not suspect foul play in the case.

City police and emergency personnel were the first to respond to the scene along the tracks between Grove Street and the Gloucester Avenue overpass.

Campanello said Tuesday night that the train’s conductor had called a manager with the Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad company just after 2 p.m., expressing concern about the well-being of a man who had been either on or around the train tracks.

The MBCR official then phoned Gloucester police, who found the victim dead at the edge of the tracks when they arrived at the scene moments later. They were joined soon after by Massachusetts State Police and investigators from the MBTA, who were handling the investigation Monday night.

MBTA officials, in a prepared statement, said that the man, reported to be about 57 years old, was found about 500 yards north of the Gloucester station on Railroad Avenue.

Rhiannon D’angelo, a spokesmen for the Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad company said the train was stopped in Gloucester shortly after the incident, adding that it takes roughly one mile for a train to come to a complete stop.

Passengers were transported by bus between the Rockport and Gloucester stations, the train was delayed about 45 minutes, with other trains on the line were delayed for about half hour as well.

James Niedzinski can be reached at 978-283-7000, x 3455 or at