, Gloucester, MA

February 5, 2013

Gloucester Police/Fire: Charges coming in Bass Avenue crash

Gloucester Police/Fire

By Marjorie Nesin
Staff Writer

---- — GLOUCESTER — One driver was transported to Addison Gilbert Hospital for treatment after a three-vehicle crash on Bass Avenue Saturday about 9 a.m. that police are continuing to investigate.

Firefighters said Monday that they did not know the severity of that person’s injuries or if that driver remained hospitalized Monday.

The crash, which occurred in the area of 78 Bass Ave., began as a head-on collision between two vehicles, one that was on the wrong side of the roadway, according to firefighters. A third vehicle, which had been traveling behind one of the other two, struck that vehicle as a result of the first collision, firefighters said. All three vehicles were towed from the scene, according to firefighters.

Charges will likely result from the pending police investigation, Police Chief Leonard Campanello.

Food burnt in a microwave caused a smoke detector to sound, drawing firefighters and police to a 7 Chestnut St. apartment Sunday about 1:34 a.m., according to Gloucester firefighters. Police said that a “highly intoxicated” resident was then transported to Addison Gilbert Hospital for treatment.

Police arrested Scott D. Stanton, 31, of Echo Street on a warrant out of Gloucester District Court after stopping his vehicle on Bass Avenue Sunday about 1:16 a.m., according to police. An officer arrested Stanton, then issued a citation to the vehicle’s owner for defective registration plate lights that caused police to stop the vehicle, according to police.

A Reservoir Road man reported his truck missing Sunday about 3:38 a.m., after he had left it parked in front of his home between 8 p.m. and midnight the previous night. Police entered information about the 2007 Ford F150 truck with tool racks on the back into the police information system.

Michael Marzan, 24, of Chestnut Street was arrested on charges of domestic assault and battery Sunday about 11:56 a.m., after he was accused of grabbing a 53-year-old woman by the arm and throwing her onto a bed, leaving a red mark on her arm.

A 25-year-old Lynn man was arrested on Granite Street Sunday about 1:14 p.m., after police stopped his vehicle and found the man, Carmen Gomez, was unlicensed. Tally’s towed the vehicle.

A 51-year-old homeless man was arrested in Beverly and turned over to Gloucester police Sunday about 9:57 p.m., according to police. The man, James E. Britton, had been wanted by Gloucester police for a domestic assault that occurred earlier in the day Sunday, police said.

A 62-year-old Hamilton man was arrested on Eastern Avenue on charges of speeding and of driving with a suspended license Saturday about 6:34 p.m., according to police.

Police said that Christopher G. Bruce was driving 65 miles per hour on the Route 128 North extension, north of Blackburn Circle before he was stopped. Police said Bruce provided a Pennsylvania license that was suspended, and a check showed his Massachusetts license is expired. Tally’s towed the vehicle.

Christopher J. Mineo, 36, of Ocean Avenue, was arrested on a charge of driving with a suspended license, after police recognized him as a person with a suspended license, while he was exiting his vehicle on Bass Avenue Saturday about 12:56 a.m., according to police. Mineo’s friend was able to drive the vehicle home for him, police said.

Police arrested a 44-year-old Middle Street man on charges of disturbing the peace and then resisting arrest, after responding to a call about a man yelling and throwing furniture around in the common area of the Middle Street apartment building.

On arrival, police found Matthew C. Ciaramitaro had flipped a coffee table. Officers told him to fix the table and then go to his personal apartment. Ciaramitaro agreed to fix the table, but then refused to leave the common area, sitting down, police said.

Police began to arrest the man, and said he became aggressive, forcing two officers to restrain him. Once in the cruiser, Ciaramitaro allegedly began smashing his head into the cruiser cage, spitting and yelling, police said.

Police arrested Christopher R. Gillon of Lands End Lane on charges of speeding and driving with a suspended license Saturday about 1:42 a.m., according to police. Police stopped Gillon, 54, for driving 80 miles per hour in a 55 miles per hour zone between Grant Circle and Blackburn Circle, then found his license had also been suspended, according to police.

Ronald D. Frazier, 21, of Centennial Avenue was arrested on a warrant, after police saw the man walking on Washington Street Saturday about 2:17 p.m. and recognized him as a wanting person, police said.

Police freed a child who was stuck in a small space behind a ladder in a play lighthouse at the Stage Fort Park playground Saturday about 1:59 p.m.

Police lifted the youngster and pulled him out between the ladder rungs, according to police.

Paramedics from the Fire Department checked the checked, and found he was OK to continue playing, police said.

Marjorie Nesin can be reached at 978-283-7000, x3451, or at