To the editor:
In defense of Gorton's, please look at the large sign with its logo near Flannagan's gas station: the fisherman is an elderly man with a white beard.
He is taken from the great painting by Augustus W. Buhler, "Man at the Wheel," painted in 1901, more than 20 years before the statue by Leonard Craske was installed on the Boulevard in 1925.
The painting has belonged to Gorton's for many years and is on display in its lobby. The Rocky Neck Art Colony's Art Trail, on the RNAC website, Entry No. 5, A. W. Buhler Studio, has an image.
Mary Rhinelander McCarl