SOME POSITIVES WITH FARRELL
Whether or not John Farrell will be successful as the Boston Red Sox manager is anyone’s guess. But he sounds like he is putting himself and the team in a good position to succeed.
Here are five positives so far:
1. He said he will stress an open line of communication between him, the pitching coach and the pitchers, but also will stress that the pitchers cannot bypass the pitching coach. Farrell is not only establishing a chain of command but also stressing strong communication, something that was lacking last year.
2. Farrell has stressed he will try to let positional players know at least one day in advance when they will not start a ballgame. This show Farrell will be well-prepared strategically well in advance. Plus, many baseball players are creatures of habit who want to know what they are going to do be doing that day before arriving at the park. That said, Bobby Valentine often waited until the players arrived at the park to tell them what they would be doing that day.
3. Farrell wants his pitchers to be aggressive early in counts. This is good news as certain Red Sox pitchers have lacked some aggressiveness the past couple of years.
4. The new manager stressed that the team has a good core of returning players, including the pitching to a degree, adding that the starting pitching needs some improvement. He seems to believe his team is capable of winning with the Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz at the front of the rotation as long as some adjustments are made. I think it’s possible, too.
5. Farrell, the Red Sox pitching coach from 2007-10, said he saw very obvious flaws in Lester’s delivery this past year. That makes me think he can help Lester rebound in 2013.
NLCS MVP Marco Scutaro isn’t responsible at all for the Red Sox’ 2011 September.
The San Francisco Giants shortstop batted .387 with a .438 on-base percentage, two homers, 21 RBIs, 18 runs and 12 doubles in 26 games last September.
Great to see a hard working player like him in the right place this year.
-Compiled by Christopher Smith