, Gloucester, MA


February 14, 2013

Gloucester stays afloat with win over Peabody

GLOUCESTER-- The Gloucester hockey team continues to hang on by a thread when it comes to its state tournament hopes.

Following Tuesday’s 7-1 loss at Triton the Fishermen faced a scenario where they needed seven points in their final four contests to qualify for the postseason. With Peabody visiting the Talbot Rink on Wednesday, Gloucester took care of business to the tune of a gutsy 2-1 win. At 7-9-1, the Fishermen now need to pick up five points in their final three games (vs. Saugus, at Beverly and at Melrose) to make the tournament.

“We worked hard tonight and got the win we needed,” Gloucester head coach Don Lowe said.

The Fishermen needed to give a little extra effort on Wednesday as they were clearly tired from the previous night’s contest. But that didn’t stop the Fishermen from battling from start to finish not giving the Tanners an inch on each end of the ice.

Gloucester thrived on the penalty kill successfully killing off all seven of Peabody’s power play opportunities while goalie Owen Parisi had one of his best outings of the year in net with 34 saves, including several difficult stops with the clock winding down in the third.

“It was all hard work and good goaltending,” Lowe said of Gloucester’s success on the penalty kill. “We needed to kill of every one of those penalties.”

With the team’s knotted at 1-1 heading into the third period, Casey Noyes scored what turned out to be the game winning goal 1:40 into the frame after some nice work in the offensive zone. Defenseman Max Vittands made a nice play on the half wall, winning a battle for the puck and getting it to Pete Mondello in the face-off circle, who immediately fired a pass to Noyes, who broke in all alone on goalie Joe Powers for the lead.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

Pictures of the Week
Gloucester Sports on Twitter
Gloucester celebrates a Super Bowl win!
Sports Videos
Comments Tracker
Your news, your way