, Gloucester, MA

April 9, 2013

Gloucester boys lax bests Peabody for first win

By Nick Curcuru
Sports Editor

---- — GLOUCESTER-- One mark of a good team is the way it handles adversity. In Monday’s 12-9 win over Peabody at Nate Ross Field, the Fishermen showed early on that they can keep their composure and stay the course while things aren’t going their way.

The Tanners came out flying, breaking out to a 2-0 lead just two minutes into the contest catching the Gloucester defense over pursuing the ball on a few occasions.

The Fishermen, however, were not the least bit rattled and quickly regrouped. From there, Gloucester found its groove on both ends of the field controlling the majority of the final 46 minutes of play en route to its first win of the season (1-1), while the Tanners fall to 2-1 with the loss.

“We didn’t get rattled,” Gloucester head coach Drew Dominick said. “We stopped over pursuing, started playing our game and we started to find their weaknesses. Once we did that we were in good shape. I thought it was a great team performance.”

The term performance may be a bit cliche, but when it comes to Gloucester’s performance on Monday it fits perfectly. Every play that stepped on the field made a significant contribution for the Fishermen.

Gloucester’s highly touted core of attackmen, Ian Kennedy, Jason Lattof and Winslow Lewis, combined to score nine of the team’s 13 goals. Kennedy led the way with five tallies. The Fishermen midfield also factored in on the offensive output as Austin Titus, John Curcuru and Cormack Flickenger each scored a goal.

Defensively Gloucester was stout as Mike Falzarano, Jesse Glidden and Devin Hemeon, playing his first season of lacrosse, stymied a talented Tanners offensive attack.

“We have a lot of kids who can score and that is huge,” Dominick said. “We found a weakness in their defense and we kept exploiting it. We got some big goals from our midfield and defensively we were tough. I can’t say enough about Devin Hemeon. I took a risk throwing him right into the fire this early and he has been impressive.”

Leading 10-6 in the fourth quarter, the Fishermen were able to thwart a late Tanners surge on both ends of the field.

After a Keifer Heckman goal brought Peabody to within two goals at 11-9 with seven minutes to play, Gloucester showed off its ability to execute in the clutch. A key face-off win from Titus got the Fishermen into their settled offense. After four minutes of control in the offensive end, Kennedy essentially finished the Tanners off scoring with three minutes remaining making it 12-9.

A last ditch Tanners effort was turned away by goalie Joe Taormina and the Gloucester defense preserving the win.

After a pair of goals from Heckman put the Tanners up 2-0 in the opening minutes, it was all Fishermen from there on in.

By the end of the first period Gloucester came all the way back to take the lead on a pair of goals from Kennedy and a goal from Lewis. Peabody took a 4-3 lead scoring twice with a man up in the first two minutes of the second, but that was the last time they would have the lead all game.

Gloucester responded with three straight goals as Lattof scored two in a row to make it 5-4 Gloucester, the second goal coming off of a perfect feed from Lewis. Kennedy and Peabody’s Eric Hennessey would trade scores to go into the half with Gloucester holding a 6-5 lead.

It was the third quarter where Gloucester would start to put some distance between themselves and their Northeastern Conference North rivals.

Titus and Peabody’s Ryan Wolff exchanged goals to make it 7-6, but Gloucester finished up the frame strong as goals from Lattof and Kennedy extended the Gloucester lead to 9-6 heading into the fourth.

The Fishermen now turn their attention to rival Danvers, who visit Nate Ross Field on Thursday (4:00 p.m.).