ATTLEBORO, Mass. (AP) — The Patriots organization has finally broken their silence in the Aaron Hernandez murder case.
Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Monday that if the charges against Hernandez are true, his organization has been “duped.” The Patriots last year signed Hernandez to a five-year contract worth $40 million but released him the day of his arrest.
“If this stuff is true, then I’ve been duped and our whole organization has been duped,” Kraft said in a session with reporters from The Boston Globe, The Boston Herald and ESPNBoston.com. “When he was in our building, we never saw anything where he was not polite. He was always respectful to me. We only know what’s going on inside the building. We don’t put private eyes on people.”
Kraft also said the Patriots will “be looking at our procedures and auditing how we do things” with regard to character reviews.
A man facing an accessory to murder charge in the case involving Hernandez was ordered held without bail on Monday, and a judge ruled that search warrants that had earlier been sealed may be released.
Ernest Wallace pleaded not guilty in District Court in Attleboro, Mass. The Miramar, Fla. man will be held without bail until another hearing on July 22, under an agreement between his attorney and prosecutors.
Details of the charge against Wallace — accessory to murder after the fact — were not released during the brief proceeding. Bristol County District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter declined comment on the specific allegations outside the courthouse, citing the ongoing investigation into the death of Odin Lloyd.
Lloyd, a semi-pro football player, was found slain on June 17 at an industrial park in North Attleborough not far from Hernandez’s home. The 27-year-old Lloyd’s relatives say he was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancee and that the two men were friends.