, Gloucester, MA

Top Stories

October 30, 2012

Power to be cut to Fort Square so crews can repair Birdseye siding

National Grid will cut power to Fort Square as work crews try to repair a section of aluminium siding that peeled off the Birdseye building during the storm last night.

It is unknown when the power will be cut, according to city officials.

Winds from now Post-Tropical cyclone Sandy pulled off that section of siding along Fort Square, revealing a wall of torn yellow insulation. The winds set the peeled-back siding against a utility pole, energizing the metal last night. Crews responded this morning to fix the storm damage, but needed the power shut off so they could work, said Fire Chief and Emergency Management Director Eric Smith.

"We don't want parts of the building to injure somebody or take down the wires," said Smith.

Fort Square residents will lose power for between four and six hours, according to a statement from the Department of Public Works. The power will come back on once crews secure the siding. The area has also been pushed up to a "life safety" priority level with National Grid.

Steven Fletcher may be contacted at 1-978-283-7000 x3455, or Follow him on Twitter at @stevengdt.



Text Only | Photo Reprints
Top Stories

Pictures of the Week
Your news, your way
AP Video
Deadly Avalanche Sweeps Slopes of Mount Everest Police Arrest Suspect in Highway Shootings Drought Concerns May Hurt Lake Tourism Vermont Goat Meat Gives Refugees Taste of Home Calif. Investigators Re-construct Fatal Bus Cras Mayor Rob Ford Launches Re-election Campaign Appellate Court Hears Okla. Gay Marriage Case Author Gabriel Garcia Marquez Dead at 87 Beau Biden Plans 2016 Run for Del. Governor Chelsea Clinton Is Pregnant Horseless Carriage Introduced at NY Auto Show Obama Hopeful on Ukraine, Will Watch Russians Flamingo Frenzy Ahead of Zoo Construction Crew Criticized Over Handling of Ferry Disaster Agreement Reached to Calm Ukraine Tensions Raw: Pope Francis Performs Pre-easter Ritual Boston Bombing Survivors One Year Later Sister of Slain MIT Officer Reflects on Bombing