GloucesterTimes.com, Gloucester, MA

Top Stories

September 17, 2013

Essex Police/Fire: Gas odor draws firefighters' response

Essex Police/Fire

ESSEX — Firefighters responded to a call about strong odors of natural gas coming from a John Wise Avenue residence Friday just past 8 p.m.

Firefighters recommended that the appliances be shut off, and a service technician was called. But no one was evacuated, police said, and there were no injuries.

Police said multiple cars were issued speeding citations after complaints on Spring Street, which started around 2:15 p.m. on Saturday.

Police spoke to a homeowner on Southern Avenue around 6 a.m. on Saturday about barking dogs. According to police, the homeowner, who said the dogs may have been alerted by a deer or other animals in the area.

A fire alarm that sounded Saturday around 5:30 p.m. on Story Street was caused by a battery failure in the smoke detector, police said.

James Niedzinski can be reached at 978-283-7000, x 3455 or at jniedzinski@gloucestertimes.com.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Top Stories

Pictures of the Week
Your news, your way
AP Video
Ariz. Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution Began Crash Kills Teen Pilot Seeking World Record LeBron James Sends Apology Treat to Neighbors Raw: Funeral for Man Who Died in NYPD Custody Migrants Back in Honduras After US Deports Israeli American Reservist Torn Over Return Raw: ISS Cargo Ship Launches in Kazakhstan Six Indicted in StubHub Hacking Scheme Former NTSB Official: FAA Ban 'prudent' EPA Gets Hip With Kardashian Tweet Bodies of MH17 Victims Arrive in the Netherlands Biden Decries Voting Restrictions in NAACP Talk Broncos Owner Steps Down Due to Alzheimer's US, UN Push Shuttle Diplomacy in Mideast Trump: DC Hotel Will Be Among World's Best Plane Crashes in Taiwan, Dozens Feared Dead Republicans Hold a Hearing on IRS Lost Emails Raw: Mourners Gather As MH17 Bodies Transported Robot Parking Valet Creates Stress-free Travel Raw: Fight Breaks Out in Ukraine Parliament