GloucesterTimes.com, Gloucester, MA

September 17, 2013

Essex Police/Fire: Gas odor draws firefighters' response

Essex Police/Fire

By James Niedzinski
Staff Writer

---- — ESSEX — Firefighters responded to a call about strong odors of natural gas coming from a John Wise Avenue residence Friday just past 8 p.m.

Firefighters recommended that the appliances be shut off, and a service technician was called. But no one was evacuated, police said, and there were no injuries.

Police said multiple cars were issued speeding citations after complaints on Spring Street, which started around 2:15 p.m. on Saturday.

Police spoke to a homeowner on Southern Avenue around 6 a.m. on Saturday about barking dogs. According to police, the homeowner, who said the dogs may have been alerted by a deer or other animals in the area.

A fire alarm that sounded Saturday around 5:30 p.m. on Story Street was caused by a battery failure in the smoke detector, police said.

James Niedzinski can be reached at 978-283-7000, x 3455 or at jniedzinski@gloucestertimes.com.