, Gloucester, MA

April 23, 2013

Man's third arrest in 8 days tied to jewelry theft

By Marjorie Nesin
Staff Writer

---- — Police wrapped handcuffs around Raymond C. Belliveau’s wrists three times in an eight-day period that spanned from April 12 into this past weekend, with charges ranging from drunken driving and trespassing at Addison Gilbert Hospital to the latest allegations of burglary and breaking and entering.

The 50-year-old Belliveau, who lives on Green Street, most recently rode in the back of a police cruiser early Saturday evening, facing charges of larceny of over $250 worth of items, breaking and entering during the day, and trespassing, according to police.

According to police, officers responding to a report of a breaking and entering in progress on Leverett Street positioned themselves at the home’s two exits, then hollered, “Police!”

“Belliveau went out through the back door and was stopped trying to leave,” police wrote in a report, adding that Belliveau was “intoxicated.”

Police found that a leather jacket that Belliveau had allegedly left on the ground outside of the house contained a plastic bag of jewelry that included large gold broaches, large gold earrings and a silver cross and a gold one, according to police. Belliveau was also wearing a gold ring with red stones on his left pinky finger, another gold ring with a missing stone on his right pinky finger, and a silver bracelet wrapped around one wrist, the police report indicated.

Police connected that jewelry to the robbery of a Washington Street home the previous night. The woman who had lived in that home died recently, and a neighbor had reported Friday night that she saw Belliveau exiting a cab at the home, and moments later saw a kitchen light turn on inside the house, according to a police report.

A resident of the Leverett Street home told police Belliveau had shown up at the house the previous night, but she had not reported the incident at the time. Police got involved Saturday night when the Leverett Street woman’s neighbor heard her car leave the home, then saw Belliveau allegedly climb through a window, police said.

”(He) heard a crash and observed a body going through a window,” police wrote.

When officers arrived on scene, they found the leather jacket containing the bag of jewelry on the ground next to a window screen beneath the open window, police said. That is when officers stationed themselves at the exits, called out to Belliveau then arrested him.

Belliveau’s string of arrests began when officers charged Belliveau at Addison Gilbert Hospital April 12 with drunken driving, trespassing at the hospital, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and drinking in public after hospital personnel called police to remove Belliveau from the scene.

Police had seen his truck in front of the hospital, left parked between the road and the hospital parking lot when Belliveau, who was allegedly drunken driving at the time, ran out of gasoline in that location. He allegedly entered the hospital and began “harassing” people in the cafeteria area, asking for money or a telephone, according to police reports.

Hospital staff had reportedly asked Belliveau to leave several times, but Belliveau had refused to leave and continued trying to solicit money from people as he allegedly smoked a cigarette inside the hospital and drank alcohol from a bottle.

Belliveau had also allegedly attempted to hit a police officer and refused to submit to officers as they handcuffed him during that arrest, police said.

Police also arrested Belliveau on a warrant April 17 when he was walking along the railroad tracks and officers recognized him as a wanted person.

Marjorie Nesin can be reached at 978-283-7000, x3451, or at