SALEM — The Level 3 sex offender facing new charges of exposing himself to a 12-year-old girl in Gloucester will be confined to his Danvers condominium and monitored by a GPS bracelet while he awaits trial, a Salem Superior Court judge ordered Friday.
Starr Lloyd, 43, who has also lived in Manchester, and reportedly moved recently from Gloucester to 57 Sylvan St., Danvers, pleaded not guilty to a charge of open and gross lewdness during his arraignment yesterday in Salem Superior Court.
Prosecutor Kate MacDougall gave few new details about the incident, which took place in a Gloucester home in March. But she indicated that Lloyd was wearing women's lingerie at the time he exposed himself to the 12-year-old girl in his home, and she reiterated a Gloucester police report that Lloyd's wife, who was also in the home, had advised him to stop engaging in such behavior.
In an interview with police, Lloyd corroborated virtually every detail the girl gave investigators, but he denied exposing himself.
MacDougall said that she would have sought to jail him as a danger pending trial, but a Supreme Judicial Court decision has held that open and gross lewdness is not a dangerous crime under the statute that allows someone to be held without bail.
Instead, she renewed a request to have Lloyd's bail set at $10,000 cash, citing his record, which includes prior convictions for open and gross lewdness in 2001 and 2002.
That's the amount a prosecutor had sought during Lloyd's original arrest and arraignment in Gloucester District Court in March. Instead, Judge Joseph Jennings released Lloyd on $3,000 cash bail at that time, Lloyd's father paid the bail, and he was free within hours after being charged.
Judge John Lu did not increase Lloyd's cash bail Friday, but did add the requirement that he remain confined to his home "24 hours a day, seven days a week."
Lu also ordered that he have no unsupervised contact with children 14 and under. Lloyd will have to foot the bill himself for the cost of the GPS monitoring equipment, the judge ruled.
Defense lawyer Rosalyn Stults had urged the judge not to alter his conditions of release, saying that he has strong ties to the North Shore and a record of showing up for court, including while awaiting trial in a more serious case in which he was charged with raping a teenage girl in Manchester in 2009, a case that was later dropped by prosecutors. In that case, Lloyd's father had posted $25,000 cash bail.
According to court documents filed in that case, the defense became aware prior to trial that the girl had made an allegation of rape in another state and then recanted it.
"He has the support of his family," said Stults, who suggested that his statement to police was the product of aggressive police interrogation, during which he was not allowed to complete his sentences.
She said Lloyd had been a longtime employee of Crosby's Market in Manchester and had recently been working as a janitor at the American Legion Post in Manchester until being put on leave as a result of this case.
A pretrial hearing is scheduled for June 22.