While Cape Ann escaped the Blizzard of 2013 without any loss of life and no reported significant injuries, other parts of the state were not so fortunate.
At least three deaths across the state had been attributed to the storm as of Sunday night.
In Boston, a 14-year-old boy reportedly died of carbon monoxide poisoning in the city’s Roxbury section Saturday morning when he went inside a running car to warm up while his father continued shoveling outside, according to Boston police. The car, however, had been backed into heavy snow, which apparently clogged the exhaust and forced the deadly gas to back up inside the vehicle.
And in Boston’s Mattapan section, a 21-year-old man was found dead inside a car, also with a tailpipe that investigators believe was blocked by snow, allowing buildup of the deadly gas, police said.
In a third Boston incident, a brother and sister, ages 4 and 7, were found unconscious shortly before 5 p.m. inside a car in East Boston, where they were trying to keep warm. They were, however, revived at the scene, rushed to a hospital and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. Police said the children are expected to survive.
Meanwhile, a veteran Worcester firefighter died Saturday after he suffered a heart attack while using a snowblower at his home in Webster, fire officials confirmed Sunday.
According to reports, firefighter Patrick E. Germain, 60, was home Saturday morning clearing his driveway with a snowblower when he went inside and took a nap because he wasn’t feeling well. He later went back outside to finish cleaning up his property and had a heart attack, according to media reports. Worcester Deputy Fire Chief Geoffrey Gardell said Germain was taken to an area hospital where he died.
Closer to home, the Gloucester house on Salt Island Road and Rockport business owners on Bearskin Neck were hardly the only victims of the blizzard’s massive storm surge Saturday morning.