A 17-year-old Gloucester teen who led police on a chase through the marshy waters behind Cape Ann Plaza and Gloucester Avenue Sunday morning is facing a variety charges in the incident — including his second charged of drunken driving,

Derek J. Titus, 17, of 35 Bennett St., Gloucester, is charged of drunken driving, his second offense, failing to stop for police, driving to endanger, assault and battery on a police officer, driving with a revoked license and speeding.

Police were drawn to Titus at 1:15 a.m. Sunday after his car passed an officer driving down Poplar Street at a high rate of speed. Police, who were driving in the opposite direction, turned around and attempted to pull Titus over, but they say he did not stop and drove towards Grant Circle.

As police pulled onto Washington Street from Poplar, they noticed that Titus' car had apparently hit a guard rail in Grant Circle. The vehicle, however, did not stop again and drove into the parking lot of Cape Ann Plaza, a short distance off the circle.

Police say Titus then exited his vehicle and jumped into the water in the marsh area behind Cape Ann Plaza.

The Coast Guard was called in to assist police, who never lost sight of Titus while he was swimming in the water. Titus exited the water at the end of Gloucester Avenue, but jumped back in when he realized police were on his tail, according to police reports. Police say he swam to the Annisquam River train bridge where he was met by police and arrested — but not before he allegedly kicked an officer in the chest causing him to fall into the water.

Titus was brought to Addison Gilbert Hospital for evaluation. According to police reports, his breath smelled of alcohol and his speech was slurred.

Two passengers in the vehicle were not hurt and told police they did not know why Titus fled the scene. According to police reports, a half full bottle of rum was also found in the vehicle.

Colman Crowley, 52, of 38 Friend St., Gloucester, was arrested at 6:45 p.m. Saturday on trespassing charges after police were called to Latitude 43 on reports of an unwelcome guest.

Matthew R. Kuch, 21, of 10 Millett St., Gloucester, was arrested at 11:35 p.m. Friday on an outstanding warrant after police were called to a Washington Square home on reports of a loud party. Police did not specify the charge of the warrant.

Sean T. Kelley, 29, of no known address, Gloucester, was arrested at 8:40 a.m. Saturday on trespassing charges after police were called to the Birdseye Building on Commercial Street on reports of an unwelcome guest.

Police are investigating the cause of a two-car accident with reported injuries on the corner of Washington Street and Centennial Avenue at 4:15 p.m. Saturday. No further information was available.

Police are searching for a black pickup truck that struck a bicyclist on Bass Avenue at 1:25 p.m. Saturday and fled the scene.

According to police reports the bike rider, who declined medical attention at the scene, was clipped but the truck as the truck was pulling out of Brightside Avenue.

Nick Curcuru can be reached at 978-283-7000, x3461, or at ncurcuru@gloucestertimes.com.

Trending Video

Recommended for you