BOSTON - Apparently without warning the Senate, Massachusetts House leaders yesterday derailed plans to pass multimillion dollar aid packages for victims of the May floods and last month's chemical plant explosion in Danvers.The Senate on Monday approved about $12 million in aid for flood victims and last week passed $2.3 million for the city of Danvers. Both bills tapped money set aside but unspent for victims of Hurricane Katrina who were evacuated to Cape Cod. Senators were furious at the House move, done they say without their consultation, and said they would call an emergency meeting Monday of North of Boston lawmakers to draw up strategies to get the bills passed this year.An aide to House Ways and Means Chairman Rep. Robert DeLeo, D-Winthrop, said House leadership believes there were too many problems with the proposals, and that both bills would have to wait until a new Legislature convenes in January. Unless a deal is struck between the House and Senate, no state aid will be approved this session for people from North of Boston nor cities and towns affected by the May flood nor the chemical explosion in the Danversport section of Danvers. The Legislature would have to start the aid bills from scratch in early January.James Eisenberg, chief of staff to DeLeo, said there were several reasons for the two relief bills not to move forward this year. House leaders, he said, did not want to attempt approving the relief bills during an informal session, when a single lawmaker could kill a bill. Western Massachusetts lawmakers, feeling they had not received similar state assistance during past natural disasters, raised concerns about the North of Boston bills.Eisenberg also said House leaders would rather pass the aid as part of a comprehensive law that defines how the state reimburses for natural or man-made disasters.Although he said the relief plans would not pass the House this session, Eisenberg stressed the House was not abandoning area victims of the flood or the explosion."This is not a dead issue," Eisenberg said. "This is not being pushed to the side."Rep. Michael A. Costello, D-Newburyport, a member of House Speaker Salvatore F. DiMasi's leadership team, confirmed the House move. But he said senior House leadership assured him the flood relief bill would be taken up in early January."I'm not disappointed because everyone is on board for next session to pass a comprehensive package," Costello said. Rep. Theodore C. Speliotis, D-Danvers, was similarly not worried. He said House leaders told him that aid for Danvers would be passed quickly next session.Sen. Bruce E. Tarr, R-Gloucester, who drafted the flood legislation, said he was shocked the House acted without consulting the Senate. "We've been operating in good faith to give relief that would help people hurt in the flood," Tarr said."I'm disappointed," said Sen. Susan C. Tucker, D-Andover. "Meanwhile, there are people who need help now.""I'm deeply disappointed at the House members who are holding this up," Sen. Steven A. Baddour, D-Methuen, said. "We're missing an opportunity to help people throughout the Merrimack Valley and North of Boston."The flood bill the Senate passed included $6.8 million for cities and towns, $2 million to subsidize interest on Small Business Administration loans to repair homes and businesses, and $1 million for hardship cases not helped by federal aid or insurance. The bill also included a $10,000 tax deduction that would bring the package to as much as $12 million.Senate President Robert Travaglini said that the flood bill had been worked out among House and Senate members and could have been passed. He also said the Legislature should move quickly to help Danvers."If I were a resident in Danvers, I'd certainly let my disappointment be known and try and spark some action," Travaglini said.

Trending Video

Recommended for you