ROCKPORT — Two Gloucester men were arrested on drug charges following the Rockport Firemen's Fourth of July parade.

Police Chief John Horvath was tipped off during the town's Fourth of July parade about a person trying to sell drugs in the area, police said.

Officers found and arrested Brandon Z. Carroll, 26, and Lucas James Ilges, 23, both of Gloucester, on Beach Street at 9:50 p.m.

Carroll faces charges of possession of a class B drug, a subsequent offense.

Ilges was charged with possession to distribute a class B drug and unlawful possession of fireworks. Police say he was carrying sparklers at the time.

Both were arraigned Friday morning at Gloucester District Court, where pre-trial hearings for both were set for Aug. 6.

— Michael Cronin


Busy Fourth on water for new harbormaster 

ESSEX — The town's new harbormaster was busy answering calls on the Fourth of July. 

Daniel Fialho, who was Essex's deputy harbormaster before moving up to harbormaster on July 1, handled at least three calls in quick succession Thursday.

At 10:47 a.m., he responded on the Essex River to the docks behind Shea's Restaurant and Shea's Inn and Motel, off Main Street, where two vessels had collided. None of the boaters reported any injuries.

At 12:23 p.m., Ipswich Police reported receiving a 911 call from a cell phone in the area of Bull Island. Police said the caller had left the line open and was moving down the river. The harbormaster found the caller, one of two people on a on a Jet Ski, in the river near the rear of the Cogswell Grant property off Spring Street. The call was made accidentally.

Then at 12:52 p.m., a call came from a boater who said the engine had just stopped while in the mouth of the river across from Crane Beach. The boater said neither he nor his passengers were in distress but needed a tow. He called back shortly to see he had hailed someone to tow the boat in.

Fialho took over as harbormaster from Peter G. Silva, who retires as Essex police chief at the end of the month. Sgt. Paul Francis will take over as chief Aug. 1.

— Andrea Holbrook 

In other news taken from the logs of Cape Ann's police and fire departments:


Friday, July 5

3:07 p.m.: One of the traffic cones blocking off the embers of the Fourth of July bonfire reportedly got blown over and burnt up. 

Thursday, July 4

10:01 p.m.: A Driftwood Road resident reported his dog had ran away from home after hearing fireworks nearby. The dog returnd home Friday morning.

9:48 p.m.: Medical emergency on Beach Street. The person was transported by ambulance to Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester.

9:10 p.m.: A driver backed into a Rockport Ambulance on Beach Street. The car's back bumper received minor damage while no damage was found on the ambulance. Information was exchanged before the ambulance left the scene.

Fireworks: Noise complaint regarding fireworks on Ocean Avenue made at 9:03 p.m. Officers were unable to locate anyone using fireworks in the area, but could hear them going off somewhere nearby. At 9:26 p.m., another noise complaint regarding fireworks was made, this time across Sandy Bay on Driftwood Avenue. The area was quiet by the time the officers made it over. At 8:30 p.m., a person complained about noise from fireworks on Sandy Bay Terrace. Officers searched the area and were unable to find anyone using fireworks.

9:02 p.m.: Medical emergency on Beach Street. The person refused ambulance services. 

8:57 p.m.: A driver on the corner of Granite and King streets received a verbal warning for making an illegal U-turn. 

8:18 p.m.: An officer gave a person on Briarstone Road a ride to Rockport High School.

7:49 p.m.: A driver on the corner of Granite Street and Quarry Road received a verbal warning for speeding.

7:47 p.m.: Officers spoke to and dismissed a person driving an ATV on the Long Beach boardwalk.

7:14 p.m.: Medical emergency on Dock Square. The person refused ambulance services. 

6:54 p.m.: Report of a drunken man falling into a group of elderly people during the Fourth of July parade on the corner of Beach and Main street. Officers searched the area and were unable to find the man in question.

2:25 and 3 p.m.: Two medical emergencies on Granite Street. Both people were transported by ambulance to Addison Gilbert Hospital.

1:15 p.m.: Medical emergency on Calebs Lane. The person refused ambulance services. 

12:48 p.m.: A Jerden's Lane resident requested the Fire Department to hose down his car as it was leaking gas. Firefighters were unable to assist as the gas was leaking too close to the house. The car was towed out from the area. 

10:19 a.m.: Noise complaint regarding a construction worker on Frank Street. Officers dismissed the worker for the day. 

6:25 a.m.: Animal Control was notified about an unattended dog on Cape Hedge Beach. 

12:12 a.m.: Medical emergency on Highview Road. The person was transported by ambulance to Addison Gilbert Hospital.

Wednesday, July 3

8:57 p.m.: A driver on Bearskin Neck received a verbal warning for having expired registration. The driver was able to update the registration online before being dismissed by the officer. 

8:46 p.m.: LifeLine activation on Stockholm Avenue. An elderly resident reported feeling uncomfortable in the heat. Officers opened a couple of her windows and advised her to call her son if she had any other issues. 

8:09 p.m.: A driver on the corner of Main Street and Pooles Lane received a verbal warning for a stop sign violation.

7:34 p.m.: A driver on Granite Street received a verbal warning for speeding.

9:02 p.m.: A driver on Mt. Pleasant Street received a verbal warning for a stop sign violation.

5:44 p.m.: A driver on Phillips Avenue received a verbal warning for erratic driving. 

3:38 p.m.: An illegally parked car on Main Street was ticketed.

2:42 p.m.: Officers advised a caller regarding a lost credit card on T Wharf.

1:15 p.m.: Medical emergency on Calebs Lane. The person refused ambulance services. 

10:24 p.m.: An officer helped an elderly resident install an air conditioning unit on Calebs Lane. 


Thursday, July 4

9:32 p.m.: A caller reported the family pet, a basset hound mix, had escaped the house and been missing for about a half hour. Animal control was notified. 

9:10 p.m.: A resident of Ice House Lane lodged a complaint about fireworks, saying the explosions had shook the house. Police found no one setting off any pyrotechnics in the area.

6:03 p.m.: A person walked into the station to say there was purse and what looked like prescription bottles in the Main Street roadway in front of Dunkin Donuts. A patrolman retrieved the purse and contents. Police were seeking to return them to their owner.

5:27 p.m.: A caller reported a female in blue Ford 150 quad cab was driving erratically on Eastern Avenue. Police found and stopped the pickup whose driver said she was "frustrated by the traffic." The driver was issued a citation.

4:52 p.m.: A male came into the station to turn in binoculars he had found. 

10:24 a.m.: A caller reported a man was clearing land off School Street that was not his. Officers spoke to the man.


Friday, July 5

11:05 a.m.: Eight parking tickets were issued on Beach Street. 

10:06 a.m.: Report of a hit-and-run accident on Tucks Point Road. Police did not investigate the matter.

9:49 a.m.: A driver on Pleasant Street received a written warning for a stop sign violation. 

7:41 a.m.: Report of a missing Golden Retriever on Smiths Point Road. 

12:46 a.m.: Report of a person walking down Route 128 northbound. Officers found the person and assisted with their broken-down car nearby.

Thursday, July 4

11:17 p.m.: Firefighters asked a group of people on Singing Beach to put out their campfire.

10:55 p.m.: A drunken man found lying in a bush on Beach Street was transported by ambulance to Beverly Hospital.

8:53 p.m.: Report of a man shooting golf balls out of a cannon at boats on Smiths Point Road. Officers searched the area and found no evidence of cannon fire.   

5:39 p.m.: A driver on Summer Street received a written warning for speeding.

4:30 p.m.: Officers gave a verbal warning to a man setting off a cannon on Walker Road. They returned to the residence again at 7:20 p.m. to issue another warning about the cannon. 

11:14 a.m.: A person who possibly had a stroke on Church Street was transported by ambulance to a hospital. 

10:02 a.m.: A person that reportedly had a syncopal episode on Tucks Point Road was transported by ambulance to a hospital. 

Wednesday, July 3

11:27 a.m.: Report of a dog bite on Crafts Court. Animal Control was notified and a quarantine order was issued on the dog. 

9:40 a.m.: Officers assisted with a flat tire on Union Street.