A Rockport man was arrested Tuesday night on a variety of charges after the pickup truck he was operating slammed into three vehicles at the Eastern Avenue traffic lights, injuring two other drivers before he fled the scene on three tires.

Matthew O. Leavitt, 32, of 7 Highland Road in Rockport, is charged with leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, marked lanes violations and speeding following the incident at 7:55 p.m.

The two injured drivers, both of whom spoke with police, were transported to Addison Gilbert Hospital. There was no further information on their injuries or conditions. All three struck vehicles were towed.

According to witness statements in Officer George Carr's report, the three vehicles were in the left lane of the northbound side of Route 128 when a white pickup truck made a right turn onto the highway from Eastern Avenue.

Police said the truck crossed into the lane of northbound traffic, first striking a vehicle parked at the light that was waiting to make a left turn onto Eastern Avenue. The female operator of the struck vehicle reported the truck crashed into her vehicle's left side, forcing it into a 90-degree spin and deploying her air bag. She also reported the pickup was speeding.

The operator of another vehicle traveling north toward the lights told police she saw the truck strike the first vehicle. Then, she said, it struck the left rear of her vehicle, forcing her vehicle into another lane.

Police said the operator of the third struck vehicle told them the speeding pickup truck then struck his vehicle, damaging it from the left front corner panel to the rear corner panel.

That's when the pickup truck's left front tire came off, according to police.

"The pickup never stopped and continued southbound up the highway," Carr wrote. "The pickup was ditched in the rear of Gloucester Crossing and the operator fled the scene."

Police searched the area but could not find the operator while determining the vehicle belongs to Leavitt.

Rockport police later contacted Gloucester police to report Leavitt had shown up at the Rockport police station with his father. Gloucester police interviewed him there.

Leavitt stated he was chasing another vehicle that had cut him off on Eastern Avenue, that the other vehicle swerved toward him, causing him to swerve and strike the other three vehicles.

"He stated he got scared and continued to the market," George wrote in his report.

— Sean Horgan

Injured man lands in jail

ROCKPORT — A Swampscott man was detained early Wednesday morning for having three default warrants. 


According to Rockport Police, David Negron of 49 Essex St. in Swampscott suffered a leg injury in Station Square. He called for an ambulance at 12:03 a.m. and was transported to Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester. The extent or cause of his injuries is unknown at this time. 


After running Negron's information, officers discovered he had two default warrants out of Gloucester for probation violations, according to Gloucester District Court, and one out of Lynn for disorderly conduct, according to Lynn District Court.


He was taken to Gloucester District Court and was ordered to be held without bail at Middleton House of Corrections for probation detention. Negron's next court date is scheduled in Jan. 15. 


— Michael Cronin  

In other news taken from the logs of Cape Ann's police and fire departments:


Tuesday, Dec. 11

2:08 p.m.: Police said they will summons to court Nancy Peavey Fulford, 55, of 7 Alpine Court, Apt. 2, in Gloucester, for illegally attaching plates to a vehicle and leaving an uninsured and unregistered vehicle on the public way. The vehicle was towed.

2:33 a.m.: Peter James Desimone, 20, of 16 Longfellow Road in Wenham, was arrested on charges of operating under the influence and resisting arrest after he was found unresponsive at the wheel of a running and in-gear vehicle in the drive-through of the closed McDonald's on Maplewood Avenue. Police said Desimone, once awakened, failed several field sobriety tests and then physically refused to comply when officers attempted to handcuff him for transport to the police station. His vehicle was towed.


Wednesday, Dec. 12

5:58 a.m.: Medical emergency on Stockholm Avenue. The person received ambulance transport to Addison Gilbert Hospital. 

Tuesday, Dec. 11



11:45 p.m.: Report of a suspicious car on Phillips Avenue. Officers found nothing of suspicion in the area.

11:34 p.m.: A person reported somebody left the lights on inside a parked car on Springfield Court. Officers assisted in getting the lights turned off.

8:29 p.m.: Gloucester Police called Rockport Police to help them find a car and driver they were seeking.

8:20 p.m.: A Tarr's Lane resident reported he smelt smoke coming from his newly installed furnace. Fire Department was dispatched and found nothing of concern.


2:23 p.m.: A driver received a verbal warning for stop sign violation during a traffic stop on High Street. 

1:43 p.m.: Wires down on Point De Chene Avenue. Verizon was notified. 

6:17 a.m.: Noise complaint made on Summit Avenue. Police said the report was "unfounded."


6:01 a.m.: Report of a car blocking sidewalk on Granite Street. Officers were unable to locate the car. 


Tuesday, Dec. 11

Lead foots: During traffic stops on Route 128, individual drivers were given verbal warnings about speeding at 5:05, 8:38 and 9:34 p.m.

6:26 p.m.: A driver was given a verbal warning for speeding and texting while driving at a traffic stop on Summer Street.

Pine Street: Two drivers were given verbal warning during traffic stops, one for operating with no lights at 6:06 p.m. and the other for no inspection sticker and defective equipment at 6:15 p.m. 

4:50 p.m.: Written warning given to driver for expired inspection sticker during traffic stop on Route 128 southbound.

2:47 p.m.: Alarm activation on Boardman Avenue. It was set off by workers.

12:12 p.m.: A 911 caller reports a disagreement between two drivers. Officers assisted and the situation was resolved. 


Wednesday, Dec. 12

8:53 a.m.: A man brought in a dog he found loose in the Low Hills area of town. Police contacted the owner who picked the pet up shortly afterward.

6:51 a.m.: Police and firefighters responded to an alarm at a Maple Street home. The alarm had been set off by a faulty detector.

1:34 a.m.: A cruiser on patrol on Forest Street came upon a car with its interior lights on. There were items inside the car but the doors were locked. The officer could not turn the lights off so left.

1:19 a.m.: A motorist was issued a civil citation for doing 56 mph in a 40-mph zone after a traffic stop on Eastern Avenue.

Tuesday, Dec. 11

6:08 p.m.: An Essex resident was issued a summons on charges of failure to stop for a police officer and driving on a suspended registration after crashing a box truck into a tree at Choate and Belcher Street. An officer had noticed the truck while doing traffic enforcement on John Wise Avenue. He caught up to the truck near Choate Street and turned on the lights and siren. He followed the truck for a quarter mile before the truck's box struck and was snagged on a tree. The driver told the officer he just thought it would be easier if he drove home and parked. The driver was told lights and a siren means he should stop for a police car, and if he had he might not have crashed his truck, which was towed.

4:50 p.m.: A Lufkin Street resident reported the dog had run off two hours earlier. Officers in cruisers searched but could not locate the animal.

10:37 a.m.: An alarm sounded at a Main Street business. Officers arrived to find the front door wide open, no cars in sight, and no inside the building. They secured the door and cleared.