In news taken from the logs of Cape Ann's police and fire departments:


Wednesday, May 22

6:05 a.m.: A burglar alarm sounded from a front commercial door at 196 Main St., across the street from the police station. The door and property were found to be secure.

Tuesday, May 21

8:34 p.m.: An assault charge is pending against a Lynn resident after police responded to a call reporting an assault on Riverside Avenue. No arrest had been made as of Wednesday.

6:04 p.m.: A car struck a utility pole and snapped a guide wire in the area of Captain Hook's restaurant on upper Washington Street, forcing a temporary shutdown of the roadway. A crew from National Grid arrived to carry out repairs. There were no reports of any injuries.

5:46 p.m.: A caller reported hearing gunshots in the area of Herd's Hill in the city's Magnolia section. A search of the area by police proved negative.

4:16 p.m.: Police assisted at the scene of a disabled motor vehicle on the northbound side of Route 128. The car had to be towed.

3:48 p.m.: An 88-year-old resident of the Seacoast Nursing and Rehabilitation Center off Washington Street reported that she was missing $60, and a director at the home told police the incident is  one of three potential cases of larceny there. The other cases, reported  Feb. 27 and May 13,  involved a loss of between $40 and $60, according to Officer Mark Foote's report. Foote noted that security footage shows "many people" entering rooms throughout the day, and a director told police that it's unclear whether the reportedly missing money was ever there.

11:10 a.m.: A Friend Street resident reported "harassing behavior" after a person sat outside his residence loudly revving his engine. The person reporting the incident said the action is in violation of a "stay away" order issued by the Gloucester District Court. The driver had left before police arrived at the scene.


Wednesday, May 22

5:26 a.m.: Lift assist on South Street. The person refused ambulance services.

Tuesday, May 21

9:39 p.m.: LifeLine activation on Briarstone Road. Services were rendered. 

6:59 p.m.: Illegally parked car on Main Street. Officers spoke with the car's owner and it was later moved.

3:27 p.m.: A Briarstone Road resident reported receiving a scam call. No personal information was given to the scammer. 

11:59 a.m.: Residential burglary alarm on Penryn Way. Officers found the home was secured. 

11:18 a.m.: Animal Control was notified of a seagull with a broken wing on Briarstone Road.

9:42 a.m.: A resident reported his or her car parked on Norwood Avenue was hit overnight. Police said the damage to the car was under $1,000.  

8:17 a.m.: Noise complaint regarding a barking dog on Greystone Lane. Officers found no one home at the residence where the dog was.


Tuesday, May 21

5:11 p.m.: Minor two-car accident on School Street. No injuries were reported. Information was exchanged between parties. Details about the damage caused was not available at presstime. 

4:58 p.m.: A driver on Pleasant Street received a verbal warning for a stop sign violation.

3:19 p.m.: Medical emergency on Summer Street. The person was transported by ambulance to a hospital. 

1:51 p.m.: Smoke from cooking caused a fire alarm to activate at The Plains. The Fire Department cleared the area. 

11:13 a.m.: A pile of what appeared to be bones was reported on Raymond Street. Officers at the scene found they were Halloween decorations. 

10:31 a.m.: A driver on Summer Street received a verbal warning for an inspection sticker violation. 

10:01 a.m.: A driver on Norwood Avenue received a verbal warning for a stop sign violation.

8:30 a.m.: A driver on School Street received a verbal warning for speeding. 

8:13 a.m.: A driver on Summer Street received a verbal warning for an inspection sticker violation.


Wednesday, May 22

10:47 a.m.: Police assisted at the scene of a disabled motor vehicle on Belcher Street. The owner had it towed.

2:35 a.m.: A man faces a criminal complaint for unlicensed operation of a vehicle and operation of an unregistered vehicle after a patrolman became suspicious about the fog- or smoke-filled car parked on Main Street. Apparently, the man and a woman, both clothed, were sleeping in the back seat.


Tuesday, May 21

10:49 p.m.: The rescue squad responded to a medical call at a Deer Hill Farms home. The patient refused transport to the hospital.

3:43 p.m.: A fire alarm sounded at a Main Street building. The Fire Department checked and reset the alarm.

12:15 p.m.: Ipswich Police reported a truck leaking fuel was heading into Essex on Route 133. Police searched John Wise Avenue but the truck must have turned off before coming into Essex.  


11:55 a.m.: A fire alarm activated at a Chebacco Terrace residence. It was set off by cooking food. The Fire Department ventilated the home.

9:56 a.m.: A suspicious bag was reported on a bench outside the Richdales on Main Street. Officers checked out the duffle bag, which contained clothes, and brought it to the station for safekeeping.