Essex Police received a report from a resident on Western Avenue of a possible phone scam by people pretending to be from the IRS at 9:03 a.m. Monday.

Chief Peter Silva reminded residents Monday to not give out any personal information over the phone, and to report calls like this immediately. He added that scammers are able to alter the number that comes up on caller ID, and the IRS wouldn’t conduct such business over the phone.

In other news taken from the police and fire logs of Cape Ann’s towns:


Town police were dispatched to a report of a person wearing all orange and carrying a rifle down Southern Avenue from Manchester Thursday at 1 p.m. 

The person had apparently gotten lost in the woods in Manchester and had ended up in Essex. He was escorted back to his vehicle without a problem, police said.

Police responded to a commercial burglar alarm at 8:59 a.m. Friday on Main Street. Officers found that everything was secure, however, and the owner was notified of the alarm over the phone. 

Someone called police about loud music coming from a residence on Western Avenue at 9:05 p.m. Friday. Police had the person quiet the music, and cleared the area shortly after. 

When police responded to another noise complaint on Western Avenue at 3:27 a.m. Saturday, they found a young man sitting in a car with the music cranked. He agreed to take it inside for the evening. 

Officials took a woman from Eastern Avenue to Beverly Hospital at 9:12 p.m. Friday in response to a medical emergency. 

A man was taken from Rocky Hill Road to Beverly Hospital at 7:09 p.m. for medical treatment. 

Officials transported a woman from Spring Street to Beverly Hospital Friday at 2:30 p.m. for medical treatment.

Officers were dispatched to a noise complaint on Choate Street at 11 p.m. Saturday. 

A party called reporting possible gunshots in the area, and officers saw a plume of smoke from a backyard when they arrived. 

Police said the perpetrators turned out to be small children with sparklers, who said they didn’t light off any fireworks off, and were just celebrating a birthday. 

Authorities transported a woman from Eastern Avenue to Beverly Hospital at 9:12 p.m. Sunday. 


An allegedly drunk and unruly passenger on the MBTA was going to be taken into protective custody upon arrival in Rockport, but he ended up racking up some other charges as well. 

Matthew Cuddy, 32, of Franklin Street in Stoneham was arrested on charges of possession of Class E drugs and disorderly conduct at 12:33 a.m. Sunday in Station Square.

Officers took a report of a woman on the train tracks in Rockport at 10:42 a.m. Sunday, but she was gone on arrival. 

A lifeline activation on Granite Street at 5:46 p.m. Friday turned out to be accidental. 

Officials transported a man from Bradley Wharf to Addison Gilbert Hospital at 6:57 p.m. in response to a medical emergency. 

Someone called police about a suspicious vehicle parked in front of a home on Pigeon Hill Street at 8:45 p.m. Friday. The car was gone when officers got to the address. 

A woman was transported via ambulance squad to Addison Gilbert Hospital from Main Street at 7:22 a.m. Sunday. 

Police were called to a home on Hodgkins Road twice Sunday morning for a noise complaint. The resident was spoken to twice. 

Officials transported a man from Bradley Wharf to Addison Gilbert Hospital at 10:10 p.m. Sunday for medical treatment. 


Officers responded to a report of a hit-and-run on Summer Street at 6:28 p.m. on Friday. Police found that their was minor damage, and did not investigate further. 

Someone reported a suspicious van on Old Neck Road at 10:37 p.m. on Friday. Officers checked out the area. 

Officers investigated a car accident on School Street at the Route 128 on-ramp Monday at 8:07 a.m. involving a trailer. There was a tow truck on the scene, but no one was transported to the hospital. 

Taylor Rapalyea can be reached at, or on Twitter @GDTTaylor. 

Trending Video

Recommended for you